Thursday, March 25, 2010

Week 2, Day 4

My alarm work me up out of a sound sleep today @ 5:00 am. I had only woken up once during the night, which is very unusual for me, but my body definitely needed the sleep.

Today's workout was HARD. We did a lot of work with kettle balls. Corey wouldn't say that we are making any progress, but he did move me up to a 15 lb ball; last week I used a 10 pound ball. I guess that is progress. The hardest part of today's session were when we did lateral squats down the track with the kettle ball between our legs, and then when we stood up we had to raise the kettle ball over our heads and then bend our elbows back so that the kettle ball went behind our backs, working our triceps. Up down, up down, up down -- down the track and back. Then we did lots of push-ups, knee curls, leg lefts and crunches on our stability balls, and some on the ground. All the exercise except the push-ups used the kettle balls. Ugh.

Got my 2nd hour in tonight in only two sessions. 45 minutes of power walking to a DVD after I picked up Matthew and then hula hooping and jogging to the Wii after dinner. What a life I have!

I can definitely say it was easier to get in shape when I was younger and single. I remember the last time I went through something like this. I was 26 years old, had fallen down the stairs at work and twisted my back. I went to the doctor and stepped on the scale and couldn't believe how heavy I was! I worked out after work (note: AFTER) every single day at the YMCA doing cardio and strength training, then I'd go home and roller blade or do something else for an hour. On the weekends, I'd walk 2 miles to get the Sunday paper and then back again. Plus I did the workout at the gym. I would often bike to the gym and then work out and bike home. I walked to work meetings if it was within a 20 minute walk. My refrigerator and pantry only had healthy food. In retrospect, I had the luxury of time and youth. It was so much easier then.

1 comment:

  1. Jenni, it's so great to read about your progress and how you're doing. Keep at it- even if Corey seems less than motivating!

    Wanted to comment on what you said about working out being easier when you were younger. I totally agree. Matt and I used to work out 5 days a week before we had our first child- it was awesome. Every day after work we would go the Princeton Club, which was easy since we lived about 1 minute away! Then I got pregnant, had horrible morning (all day!) sickness and when that finally went away I had awful back pain during pregnancy. Then once you have a baby, everything changes. No more time to exercise! I have done weight watchers as well, however I couldn't handle the stupid points thing- it was just too hard to make a home-cooked meal and know how many points there were! I don't think a plan that forces you to buy pre-packaged meals just so you know how many points there are is a good one. I only lost 12 or 13 lbs on it, and now unfortunately I have gained it all back. I have to applaud what you're doing because I know it's NOT easy. I have struggled for a while to try and find time to exercise, and also to find exercise that doesn't get boring. It's a struggle! Well I just wanted to say, You're doing a great job, and don't lose faith. You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete