Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The start of the journey

One day in early March, I walked down the hall at work, past a co-worker, opened a door and started down the stairwell. Something then registered in my head, so I turned back around, opened the door again, and said, "Amy??" (not her real name). I have known this co-worker for several years, but did not recognize her at all the first time I passed her. She looked AMAZING.

I got the courage to ask her what she had done to make such a dramatic difference in her appearance, and she told me about a "Biggest Loser" program she had been doing at a Fitness Center for the past 26 weeks. She forwarded me her trainer's name and email. She told me her experience had been life-altering.

After thinking about it for a while, I thought this might be for me. In 2009, I had set a goal in 2009 of getting "fabulous by forty." I lost 42 pounds on weight watchers towards this goal, but did not meet it. I gained 10 pounds back after a stressful late fall where I soothed my anxiety with fast food and frosting.

That night, I emailed Corey, at Hybrid Fitness in Fitchburg. This is the fitness center that won the Madison-wide biggest Loser competition. It is more a personal training facility than a typical gym or fitness center. I explained who I was, and told him that I wanted to transform myself like "Amy." Upon getting his response, I went to the facility the next day, signed the (very expensive) contract and began the countdown towards my new adventure, starting on March 15. I decided personal training and nutrition would be my 40th birthday present to myself. I am going to be fabulous in my forties.

No comments:

Post a Comment